How to Make Your Digital Advisors SEO Friendly? #SMARTInsights
The role and purpose of digital product advisors is to give your shoppers, especially novice shoppers, an exciting alternative to traditional filters available in pretty much all online shops today.
Product advisors are helpful in virtually any product category and whenever shoppers don’t quite know which product to choose. They engage users in an interactive dialog, ask personalized, need-oriented questions to determine the user’s individual needs, help them evaluate available options and suggest products that best match their expectations.
Businesses consider product advisors mostly as a solution to bolster sales, improve the customer experience, and reduce product returns. If optimised well however, product advisors can also play a major role in increasing organic traffic to your site.
6 steps to make your advisor search engine friendly
Search engine optimization (SEO) comprises a set of rules that allow websites to rank higher in search engine results when specific keywords are queried. Don’t worry though, you don’t have to be an SEO expert in order to boost your product advisors’ Google ranking.
1. Determine the keywords that you want to rank for
Firstly, determine which keywords you wish to rank for in Google search with your advisor landing page. Use Google’s Keyword Planner to do the research and choose those keywords that have high search volume, but are not too generic.
For example, if you have a laptop advisor integrated at your store, you have to find out how your target audience refers to your solution. Would it be laptop advisor or laptop finder, laptop quiz or maybe something else? You can also search for more targeted as well as more need-oriented and therefore, more lucrative long tail keywords (consisting of more than 2 words), such as: which laptop should I buy, best laptop for gaming, which laptop for photo editing, etc.
Based on this simple research, you know that laptop finder with an average of 8,100 monthly searches has much more potential to generate traffic than laptop advisor which averages at 90 searches per month.
Go ahead and analyze multiple keywords. Choose the phrases for which you will optimize your advisor page.
2. Optimize the HTML content
- Optimize the header tag. The first header (H1) is a very important element from an SEO perspective. It helps search engine bots to qualify the page content and determine its relevance. That’s why you should make sure that the H1-tag contains keywords that refer to your product advisor, for example:
Laptop Finder – Find the best laptop for you to buy!
- Introduce the advisor. This may be the first time a user comes across a Guided Selling solution. In the first paragraph, provide visitors with a brief introduction that explains its purpose and benefits, how to use it, and describes the steps a user has to take in order to find a desired product.
- Append more information. Below the advisor, you can include more detailed information about how the advisor works, e.g. by explaining what features are being taken into consideration, how many products are being evaluated, etc.
3. Optimize the title tag and meta description
The title tag and the meta description are HTML attributes that specify the title of a webpage and provide concise explanations of the page content. Title and description are commonly used on search engine result pages (SERPs) to display preview snippets for a given page.
The title tag is an important factor in a search results ranking as it determines the focus, content and relevance of your site. Meta descriptions don’t have an impact on SEO, but just like the title tag, they play an important role in generating user click-through from the search engine results.
For a laptop advisor your title tag and meta description could look like this:
4. Check whether Google can crawl and index your advisor
Important note: If a significant share of your audience accesses your site from Bing and Yahoo search engines, keep in mind that these search engines have more limited indexing capabilities.
5. Link to your advisor on-site
Google evaluates more than 200 aspects when determining the search result ranking of your website. For years, undeniably one of the most important SEO factors have been links. Links pointing to your website and to the specific pages work like votes. The more votes your page gets, the better it ranks in SERPs.
There are certains rules that you have to follow in your link building strategy though (Google’s link quality guidelines). Among the forbidden and harmful link building tactics you’ll find buying or exchanging links as well as using automated programs or low quality websites to build them. Yet, there are still many ways to build high quality links without breaking Google’s guidelines.
One of the easiest and often underestimated ways to build links is internal linking – placing a link on a webpage to another page or resource on the same domain.
Your website surely has built some level of authority already, especially your home page. Use it to strengthen your advisor landing pages by linking to them from the homepage and other topic-related pages of your website, such as category pages. You can use banners or text links, whichever seem to fit your corporate design strategy to drive more SEO power to these advisor pages.
6. Promote your advisor off-site
Here’s where the fun starts. By promoting your advisor landing page, you’ll get a chance to gain traffic from other communication channels and at the same time, build high quality links for the purpose of SEO.
A few examples of how you can promote your product advisors:
- Promote your advisor on Social Media channels. Not only on your official profiles. Dive into Real Time Talking! Monitor conversations, search for users in need and point them in the direction of your advisors for support.
- Engage with the community. Search for and engage with people looking for advice on Q&A websites, forums, blogs etc.
- Create and promote content. Write articles on your company blog or guest articles on third party blogs. Topic ideas are endless. For example, you can share tips and tricks to buying the best laptop, like this laptop buying guide and link to your advisor page. Don’t forget to promote your articles – without it, the content and the effort you put into creating it will certainly go unnoticed.
- Write and distribute a press release. Let the world know how much you care about delivering a great experience and convince your potential customer that you are The Point of Decision.
- Send a newsletter. Inform your customers about your new solution to help them figure out the best product in a seamless way. Don’t underestimate good old email marketing – it’s still one of the most powerful marketing tools out there. A newsletter will not only drive traffic to your advisor landing page but also triggers social signals, such as likes and shares.
- Syndicate your advisor to your distribution partners. If you are distributing your products or services through third-party websites, it’s a good idea to integrate your digital advisors on these pages as well. It will provide your customers with a more consistent experience and ensure that your partners convey your brand message in the right way. To prevent syndicated advisors from downgrading the ranking of your advisor landing page, you can use the tag <link “rel=canonical” href=”[URL of your main advisor landingpage]>. You will need to add this tag to the head section of HTML code on all the pages that syndicated your advisor in order to let crawling Googlebots know that you are the original publisher or source. All syndicated advisors should refer to your advisor landing page as a canonical version.
If you have invested in a Guided Selling solution, you have already taken a major step towards improving your rankings in search engines. Usability and user experience are second order influences on search engine ranking success.
The product advisor alone will not put you on top of SERPs for the most profitable keywords for your business. However, it can certainly generate extra traffic if you devote some time to identifying the keywords to target, optimizing the landing page and promoting your advisors via various communication channels.